Thu, 11/11/2021 - 11:27
fitness info and more right in your inbox.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for white wine. No, not to drink straight. I’m not a complete savage. Often recipes (especially pasta) will call for white wine, but apple cider vinegar is a far healthier option that helps to stoke metabolism instead of dampening it like alcohol does.
2. Veggie Noodles for White processed grains! Get yourself a spiralizer ($20 to $30 bucks) and make zucchini, carrots, squash and more that’s loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals instead of processed flour. And… you’ll cut out tons of empty calories.
3. Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
4. Avocado instead of mayo. You aren’t saving calories on this one, but you aren’t gaining them either and the avocado has way more nutrients, healthy fats, and fiber than mayo – which is relatively worthless when it comes to nutrition.
5. Mashed bananas instead of butter. Of course this only applies to baked goods, but it’s a huge calorie savor and bananas are loaded with fiber, potassium, magnesium and more!
6. Lime and lemon juice for flavor instead of salt. Cut back on the sodium and add some vitamin C – your cortisol levels will thank you and so will your blood pressure!
7. Unsweetened applesauce instead of sugar. Another baking swap obviously. You get all the fiber and nutrients from the apple instead of all the chemicals, crap, and empty calories from straight sugar.
8. Evaporated skim milk instead of cream. This one will save you literally hundreds of calories and the dishes taste just as delicious!
9. Sparkling water / fruit infused water instead of juice or soda. Save tons of calories and cut out sugar while getting great hydration!
10. Cauliflower rice instead of regular rice. Loaded with fiber and B vitamins cauliflower makes a delicious nutritious rice alternative!
11. Lettuce wraps instead of tortillas or burger buns. This one is just so obvious, you can literally cut 200 to 300 calories in one meal with this one.
12. Olive oil and vinegar instead of bottled dressings. This one is just so much healthier for you. Especially if you get a great type of early harvest organic olive oil like Koroneiki olive oil.
13. A glass of wine instead of sugary calorie laden mixed drinks.
14. Mustard instead of mayo.
15. Ceylon cinnamon instead of sugar. Whether you are adding sugar to your latte or your oatmeal adding cinnamon instead not only lowers your blood sugar levels instead of spiking them, but it also saves you calories!
16. Cacao nibs instead of chocolate chips. I know I know you won’t get it past your kids, but all my adult friends still really enjoy it. They have a great texture, add a nice flavor, and instead of processed sugar they are loaded with antioxidants and fiber to help boost microbiome and slow aging.
17. Black beans instead of flour. I know – sounds really weird, but black bean brownies can be delicious. Take beans from a can, rinse them, and purée them. Don’t do a 1 to 1 ratio with flour, necessarily, but either way, reduce the other liquids in the recipe.
18. Use veggies like endive, carrots, and cucumbers to dip into salsa or hummus instead of chips.
19. Marinara sauce instead of a butter or cream sauce on meat, veggies, or pasta! This is not only loaded with lycopene (which is a powerful antioxidant) but it’s far less calories!
20. Use dry rubs and spices over marinades / sauces. Spices have so many health benefits and don’t add extra empty calories to your meal!