Sun, 01/21/2018 - 23:31
fitness info and more right in your inbox.
So what's the secret of women who are fit, healthy and ageless like Jennifer Lopez, 46, and Christie Brinkley, who somehow looks better now at 62 than at 32? Well, a common theme is these people aren’t smokers or heavy drinkers. You can do the same with a liver cleanse -- not to be confused with a fast (starving yourself is never the answer). Follow these straightforward steps to weight-loss success, antiaging benefits, and improved immunity.
1. Don't drink. Alcohol provides empty calories and significantly dampens your body’s ability to metabolize fat. And when you imbibe, your willpower suffers, and you're more likely to order those greasy bar fries to go with that sugary cocktail. Over time, alcohol can do serious damage to your liver and cause premature aging. It has also been linked to breast and ovarian cancers. If you can't abstain completely (hey, I get it), limit yourself to two drinks a week. And hydrate with lemon water between alcoholic drinks.
2. Don't smoke. This is a no-brainer. Smoking not only negatively affects your heart and lungs, it also causes wrinkles (hello, smoker's lines) and sagging skin, yellows your teeth, and thins your hair. Nothing ages you more than tobacco. Also don't be that person who claims to only smoke during happy hour. A smoker is a smoker.
3. Don't eat fake food. "Frankenfood," as I call it, consists mainly of chemical crap that promotes obesity and throws off your body's metabolic function. These include trans fats, high-fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners and colors, carcinogenic nitrites, and artificial hormones (found in nonorganic dairy and meat products).
4. Do eat foods rich in vitamin B. Stress also ages you and is detrimental to your overall health. A great way to keep calm is by consuming foods rich in B vitamins, which produce the feel-good hormone serotonin. Find them in whitefish, shellfish, beef, poultry, and eggs; or consider a vitamin B supplement.
5. Do drink milk thistle and dandelion tea. Finally, there are herbal remedies that protect your body from the effects of alcohol and environmental pollutants. Milk thistle extract is ideal for maintaining the health of your liver. Look for all-natural, pharmaceutical-grade milk thistle products. And dandelion tea boosts your metabolism and flushes out the kidneys. You can also use the tea as a craving killer (a tip from Naomi Campbell, another ageless beauty) by sipping a cup of it three times a day.