Craving something rich for dinner tonight but don't want the side of guilt that almost always comes with it? Sometimes you need to get creative! This Sautéed Chicken Breasts With Creamy Chive Sauce is a perfect example, using dry white wine, organic sour cream, Dijon mustard, and freshly chopped chives to turn ordinary lean chicken into a meal fit for a French restaurant. If you're not used to using wine for cooking, a Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc will work perfectly. Now all you have to do is steam up some string beans as a side dish and you're good to go!
Sautéed Chicken Breasts With Creamy Chive Sauce
- 4 pieces organic chicken breast, boneless, skinless, and trimmed of fat (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 14 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup organic, reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup fresh organic chives, chopped (about 1 bunch)
- Place chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Season both sides of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow glass baking dish and dredge the chicken in it. Discard the excess flour.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour; stir to coat. Add wine, broth and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until heated through and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes. Stir in sour cream and mustard until smooth; turn the chicken to coat with the sauce. Stir in chives and serve immediately.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Number of Servings: 4
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 72 mg
Sodium: 679 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 1 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 26 g
Recipe reprinted with the permission of Eating Well