Sports are in full swing and games are dominating not just the television, but maybe your social schedule too! Whether you're gearing up for Monday night football or hosting a tailgate before your kid's game, forget the nachos and prepare this pulled chicken recipe instead. It's easy, healthy, and makes enough to feed the whole crew. Break out the slow cooker and get started!
This fanciful reinterpretation of pulled pork uses chicken and lots of tomato sauce. Have sliced jalapeños and sliced red onions on hand to top this hearty main course.
Barbecue Pulled Chicken
- 8 ounces low sodium tomato sauce
- 4 ounces canned green chile peppers, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.
Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 5 hrs
Total Time: 5 hrs 20 mins
Number of Servings: 8
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 68 mg
Sodium: 257 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 8 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 20 g